• Saturday, December 09, 2023

News

Mukesh Ambani receives third threat email demanding £40 million

MUMBAI, INDIA – NOVEMBER 09: Mukesh Ambani at the British Asian Trust Reception on day 4 of an official visit to India on November 9, 2013 in Mumbai, India. This will be the Royal couple’s third official visit to India together and their most extensive yet, which will see them spending nine days in India and afterwards visiting Sri Lanka in order to attend the 2013 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

By: Kimberly Rodrigues

Mukesh Ambani, the Chairman of Reliance Industries, received a threatening email from an unidentified person demanding Rs 400 crore, equivalent to £40 million, the police said on Tuesday (31).

Ambani’s company received the email on Monday, marking the third threatening email sent to him within four days, an official said.

Earlier, an FIR was registered at Gamdevi police station in Mumbai, India, based on a complaint filed by the industrialist’s security in-charge after the first email, seeking Rs 20 crore equivalent to approximately £2 million, was received from an unidentified person on Friday (27).

On Saturday, the company received another email demanding Rs 200 crore or £20 million.

The company received the third email on Monday, in which the sender doubled the demand, the official said.

The Mumbai police, their crime branch and cyber teams are working to trace the sender of the email, he added.

Last year, the Mumbai police arrested a man from Bihar’s Darbhanga for making death threat calls to Ambani and his family members. The accused had also threatened to blow up the Sir H N Reliance Foundation Hospital in Mumbai.

(PTI)

Related Stories